... easing into semi-retirement, having lots of creative adventures and enjoying being a (relatively) new Granny.

Sunday 24 February 2013

Desmeralda as a child



Desmeralda was my best friend from the day we met in kindergarten until my family moved away 5 years later. She was the one I was sat with on our first day of school and we became firm friends gradually.


People marvelled at our differences, she with her straight brown hair in plaits and I with my curly auburn hair; she the tallest in our class with her slim build and I one of the shortest; Desmeralda loved to play sports and was always first in the athletic finals while I struggled to even get placed in a heat.

In spite of this, or perhaps because, of our differences we remained best friends and enjoyed each other’s company.

Weekends were often spent at my house where Desmeralda loved to join in the rough and tumble of my large, boisterous family. At the time she was the only child at home as her brother John was 10 years older and away at boarding school and her sister Carol had not yet come along. My twin brothers Will and Andy were only 2 years older than us and nearly always included us in their games; we especially enjoyed Cowboys and Indians even though we usually had to be the ones who were shot first.

1.6.12

No comments:

Post a Comment