... easing into semi-retirement, having lots of creative adventures and enjoying being a (relatively) new Granny.

Saturday 4 April 2015

My godmother




Enid was my godmother and I have a photo taken on the day of my baptism of me with Enid and my godfather Arthyr. I know that she was Mum’s best friend, they played hockey together in Canberra and Enid was chief bridesmaid at her wedding.


Enid was a very creative person who excelled at drawing. As a child I remember receiving birthday cards and presents, with the envelope always decorated with Enid's signature drawing of a cartoon figure. 

I vaguely remember seeing her throughout my early childhood and I definitely remember travelling to Canberra for Mum and Dad to go to a wedding and Carol and I being minded by Enid and her mother. I have a feeling that at least one of us (probably me!) was inconsolable at being “abandoned” and so to distract us Enid taught us to play croquet. 
Whenever I am in Canberra and drive past the croquet lawn at the Hyatt Hotel I always think of Enid and that croquet game. Sadly, I have no recollection of how to play croquet except that the mallet is held in both hands and the ball is struck in a forward motion.


She gave Mum and Dad a blue Moorcroft bowl as a wedding present so she obviously had an artist’s eye for collectable items. She didn’t think to tell Mum how special the bowl was, even in those days, so Mum used it as an everyday fruit bowl until a visitor who obviously knew her English china was horrified and told her to treat it more carefully. Mum had the bowl valued a few years before she died and was very pleased with the appraisal she got, although she never shared that with me. When we were clearing out Mum's home I was extremely thrilled to find a white sticker on the underside of the bowl with my name on it. Now it sits in pride of place on my dining room table in memory of Mum and Enid.


After we moved to Goulburn in 1961 I don’t ever remember seeing Enid again and I have often wondered why. What happened between her and Mum? Was it a major rift between them or did they just drift apart and have less in common as Mum had 3 children and Enid never married or had children? 
In spite of any differences they might have had I was disappointed that Mum did not invite her to my wedding. Mum’s mother, Daisy, trying to be helpful and not bother anyone too much, contacted Enid assuming she was also invited and asked her for a lift to Goulburn for the day. I don’t know how Mum got around that embarrassing omission but I know that Enid was not at our wedding.


Enid died tragically in about 1973 as she was driving to Victoria for Christmas with her brother and family. I don’t know all the details but I think it was a single vehicle accident on the Hume Highway; when she was found her dog was still in the car with her. The thought of that faithful dog waiting patiently by her side for her to wake up still makes me feel sad. 
I know that Mum and Dad made a special trip to Enid’s funeral in Victoria and I wonder if she did that to make up for losing touch with her once best friend.
14.8.13

No comments:

Post a Comment