... easing into semi-retirement, having lots of creative adventures and enjoying being a (relatively) new Granny.

Sunday 5 April 2015

Red roses



Pop Kendall had a very minimal garden – whatever survived was hardy and thrived on little or no care. He did however have a rose bush that produced the most beautiful, strongly scented red blooms every year.

Peter was not given to romantic gestures but I do remember one time he came to pick me up for a dinner date carrying a bunch of red roses, open and beaming and flooding the surrounds with strong rose perfume. It was a spontaneous gesture on his part which totally won me over.

Since that day I have always sought out red roses with a strong perfume, perhaps because of the memories I associate with that random act of generosity.


Red roses for
True love.
The heady perfume
Floods the senses
And imprints
For the future.
Now I always seek out
Full flowering roses
To remind me
Of that bunch of roses
So many years ago.
25.7.13


No comments:

Post a Comment