... easing into semi-retirement, having lots of creative adventures and enjoying being a (relatively) new Granny.

Saturday 17 October 2015

Describe a grandparent


My grandmother Daisy was always an old lady to me; perhaps because she was around 65 when I was born. I could never imagine her ever being young.



Why did I think she was old? She wasn't particularly wrinkled and never seemed to look any older.

Maybe it was because she always walked with a stick, the legacy of a broken hip in her 40s which never healed properly.

She was a tall woman, always standing erect, using her walking stick to maintain her balance.

Looking at photos I can see a distinct resemblance between my mother and Daisy and her mother Hannah.

She always wore glasses and was always well dressed. I can’t remember ever seeing her in pyjamas (or nightie) and dressing gown with her hair dishevelled, but I must have at some time.

What colour were her eyes? I don’t remember, but I imagine they were blue because her father was Swedish.

Her face was covered in soft peach fuzz and sometimes I notice in the mirror that I am developing the same look and I remind myself that I am nearing the age she was when she first became a grandmother.


No comments:

Post a Comment