... easing into semi-retirement, having lots of creative adventures and enjoying being a (relatively) new Granny.

Saturday 21 April 2012

Characteristics of creative people

Creative people are self absorbed and can be unreliable. They often use their 'creativity ' as an excuse for their lack of social skills and awareness. A creative person is one who can take an idea and run with it, often much further than ordinary old me would or could do. I spend a lot of time asking myself what is the right way to do something, “what is the right answer?” and I can get bogged down in this self-doubt. I imagine that a creative person would be able to throw him/herself into a project or a problem whole heartedly and not be bogged down in the intricacies of ‘tidying up’ or finishing correctly. A creative person has no time constraints or idea of the right or wrong way to do something; they are able to just get on and create something.

In my mind I often judge the so-called creative people, perhaps because I want to be more like them and less constrained by everyday life. I think they are often extroverted, loud and draw attention to themselves; they have no interest in other people and exist only to maintain their own creative lifestyle. I also feel that they are unreliable because they are so caught up in the ‘creative muse’.

However, I think now that I have all these prejudices against creative people because I envy them their ability to be so focussed on an idea and wish I could do the same. I feel sure that I too could be creative if only I had the time, the motivation etc.

I think in particular of our friend ZK who revelled in the idea of being a creative person. She was so self absorbed and so indulged by those around her, that she had no idea of the interests, talents or abilities of anyone else. 

Here I am thinking of myself; perhaps I could be creative if someone asked me the right questions 
or 
gave me the right amount of encouragement 
or
IF I GAVE MYSELF PERMISSION TO BE CREATIVE!

What are some characteristics of creative people? (Timer set for 20 minutes)
7.2.12

No comments:

Post a Comment