... easing into semi-retirement, having lots of creative adventures and enjoying being a (relatively) new Granny.

Saturday 21 April 2012

Values clarification

 A meaningful life is one lived by Buddhist principles – compassion for others vs. selfishness. It would be sad to come to the end of your life and be beset by regrets and ‘if only’thoughts – “I wish I had done this, I wish I had not done that.”

A meaningful life is also one where you (the liver of the life) feel fulfilled and that you have been worthwhile to yourself and others.

I try to think of others and see their point of view. But on the other hand I struggle with the idea of feeling overlooked and undervalued or underestimated. I struggle with this feeling many times as I feel it is selfishness to want to be noticed at all times. I have no aspirations to greatness or fame, however, I do want to be appreciated and have this acknowledged.

At this stage in my life I feel that I have reached a plateau where I have no real desperate needs or wants. If I want new clothes I can go and buy them, if I wanted a new house I could sell my house and buy another. But now that I have reached this stage of life, the thought of taking any radical risks or making any more radical changes does not appeal to me. In fact, it scares me. 

After so many years of uncertainty in my life especially regarding the future, I have finally got to the place of feeling some security and am able to plan for my retirement years with confidence.

(What is a meaningful life? Write for 5 minutes. Go for 10.)
27/09/09

No comments:

Post a Comment